What is really white wine vinegar? A versatile element, indispensable both in the kitchen and for cleaning the whole house. Let’s discover together its properties, its thousand uses and benefits.
WHAT IS WHITE WINE VINEGAR?
White wine vinegar is one of the basic ingredients of our cuisine and is used to prepare sauces, marinades and to dress salads, fish and meat.
It is created from the fermentation of white wines by aerobic bacteria of the genus Acetobacter that convert alcohol into acetic acid. White vinegar is, in fact, a great ally of fine food lovers and is not only used to dress salads but enriches the taste of many dishes.
In addition, thanks to its easy availability and affordable price, white wine vinegar is certainly one that offers a wide variety of different uses, from cleaning your house to the one of your pets.
USES OF WINE VINEGAR
Wine vinegar was born as food, and firmly holds its place in the kitchen primarily as a condiment and as a preservative for other foods. However, being an inexpensive and completely natural product, it is increasingly being re-evaluated as an alternative to the more aggressive and expensive chemical detergents for household cleaning.
It doesn’t trigger any allergies or is coloring, and also for this reason it lends itself very well to many uses, inside and outside the kitchen. Let’s discover its many uses together, starting from the kitchen.
HOW TO USE THE WHITE WINE VINEGAR ON THE TABLE
White vinegar is particularly suitable for seasoning „raw“ dishes such as salads and matches equally well with many fish-based recipes. In fact, it is ideal for making delicate marinades (for example with blue fish) and for seasoning seafood salads with octopus or shellfish.
It is also the protagonist of many sauces, many of which originate in French cuisine, such as white butter, tartar sauce or vinaigrette.
- White butter is a sauce made with cream, butter and white wine vinegar, excellent to accompany grilled, baked fish and roasted meats.
- The tartar sauce is made by whipping both firm and fresh and cooked eggs by adding white vinegar and a drizzle of oil, and is enriched with chopped gherkins, capers, tarragon and parsley; it is eaten cold, freshly prepared, and in combination with meat or fish.
- Vinaigrette, on the other hand, is a very popular emulsion perfect for seasoning cooked and raw vegetables, made exclusively of extra virgin olive oil and white wine vinegar and can be customized with spices and aromas such as chilli, rosemary or mustard.
Finally, white vinegar is the basis of another fundamental recipe in Italian and international cuisine, mayonnaise. A versatile, tasty and unavoidable sauce on our tables, made with eggs, oil, pepper and wine vinegar (excellent alternative to lemon juice).
Thanks to the white wine vinegar you can also prepare homemade pickled mixed vegetables: just use a white vinegar with an acidity of at least 6% to blanch the vegetables first, and then to fill the jars that will be vacuum stored.
White vinegar can also be very useful in the preparation of dried legumes: if you add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to the water during the long soaking period, you will get a better cooking result!
HEALT BENEFITS AND CONTRONDICATIONS
Wine vinegar is first of all precious for the body, first of all for its high content of mineral salts including phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, iron. The beneficial properties of wine vinegar, however, go beyond:
- slows down digestion and increases the sense of satiety;
- thanks to the grape polyphenols, it is a natural antioxidant and is able to strengthen the immune system and slow down cellular aging;
- given its very limited caloric intake and total absence of cholesterol, it can be maintained in all slimming and other diets, and it can be also consumed by those with cardiovascular problems.
On the other hand, it is not recommended for those suffering from gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux, because it could accentuate the symptoms of these disorders. The consumption of vinegar, especially in large doses, is not recommended for diabetics because it affects the amount of glucose and insulin in the blood. In addition, it would also seem to be able to lower blood pressure, therefore its use is not recommended for those taking antihypertensive drugs.
WHITE WINE VINEGAR: PRECIOUS ALLY IN THE KITCHEN
In the kitchen, white wine vinegar can prove to be a precious source, and not just for cooking: thanks to acetic acid, it is a marvel for removing or attenuating odors. Let’s see how it can be used effectively in the kitchen:
- excellent for washing and disinfecting vegetables, in combination with water;
- removes the onion smell from the hands;
- added to the boiling water of the eggs, it ensures that, if the shell is broken, the egg won’t leak;
- added to the boiling water of broccoli, savoy cabbage or cabbage, it helps to reduce intestinal swelling that these vegetables can cause;
- boiled in water together with broccoli or other vegetables, it neutralizes the odor produced;
- effective repellent against ants that can infest the kitchen: just moisten a cotton pad with white vinegar and place it in a place frequented by insects.
Kitchen objects and appliances also need cleaning and disinfection, and once again white vinegar is the solution.
- Ideal for deodorising and sanitizing the refrigerator in a natural and non-invasive way.
- Eliminates limescale from glasses and dishes (and in the shower), and is also useful in the dishwasher.
- Cleans and removes odours from the microwave, just boil half a glass of water with 5 tablespoons of vinegar for a couple of minutes, then wipe the walls with a cloth: the oven will be as good as new.
- A winning solution also for cleaning the filters of the coffee maker: pour water and white vinegar into the tank, close the moka and light the fire – just like making coffee, but without the coffee!
- Effective for disinfecting kitchen towels, soak them in hot water and white vinegar for 30 minutes; then rinsed them off with your usual detergent.
FOR HOME CLEANING AND HYGIENE
White wine vinegar is extraordinary as well for cleaning and disinfecting objects and spaces throughout the house. Let’s see how it can help us in house cleaning:
- it is effective against the oxidation of objects, just leave them immersed in vinegar for about two days, waiting for the oxide to lose strength, after which you will be able to eliminate oxidation more easily;
- glass objects (such as bottles or windows) and metal objects can be polished (for these it is advisable to use white vinegar combined with sodium bicarbonate);
- used instead of the common detergent (about 200ml), it disinfects and deodorizes the washing machine after only one half-load cycle;
- combined with essential oils, it is excellent for keeping parquet clean and shiny; and if the parquet or your furniture is a little „dull“ and damaged by signs (scratches, halos, stains), try to rub them with a cotton cloth moistened with vinegar: they will regain their luster and the marks will be less visible;
- whitens and cleans the joints between the tiles;
- sprayed on a soft cloth it helps to clean CDs and DVDs;
- perfect for removing stains from fabrics before washing (also effective on urine stains).
WARNING: white wine vinegar can be used in a multitude of situations, but the only thing you should never do is mix it with bleach or ammonia: the result could be very dangerous for both the skin and the lungs.
VINEGAR OUTSIDE THE HOME AND FOR OUR ANIMAL FRIENDS
If we move out of the house, white vinegar can still come in handy:
- it is perfect for removing old stickers from the car body (spray the vinegar and leave it for a few hours before rubbing off the adhesive), or to avoid the formation of ice on the windshield;
- eliminates weeds from crevices in pavements;
- a sponge soaked in white vinegar helps to keep cats away;
- added with a spoonful of sugar to the water in the vases, it will make cut flowers live longer;
- a sure-fire solution to remove the smell of cat pee from fabrics and environments.
If we have pets such as cats or dogs, we can use white vinegar to clean their ears with a natural product, preferably organic, avoiding discomfort and itching. By spraying a vinegar solution near furniture, sofas or other, cats will be taught not to approach.
FOR YOUR RECIPES CHOOSE VARVELLO’S ‚BIANCO‘
Varvello traveled all over Italy to reach the grapes and white wines of Sicily, with which it created its own white wine vinegar, a formula as simple as it is exceptional.
The crown of quality undoubtedly belongs to the most classic White Wine Vinegar, in 1 liter glass or PET bottles. A pure and simple condiment obtained from the organic and natural fermentation of Sicilian white wines. A must of Casa Varvello, which will never disappoint your expectations.
Our Aged White Wine Vinegar “Linea Oro” is a variant that stands out for its palatability and elegance. This vinegar rests in Slavonian oak and American larch barrels, which give it an exceptionally round body and a remarkable spectrum of aromas.
Symbol of elegance and taste, the White Wine Vinegar aged over two years in fine wooden barrels is the highest expression of this condiment. In its noble simplicity, it has an unmistakable scent and aroma, the good result of the skillful fermentation of Pinot Grigio from Sicily.
In addition to the traditional wine vinegars, Varvello’s research led to the creation of white condiments, a combination of wine vinegar and white grape must. The White Condiment „Linea Oro“ is a precious blend that has the aroma and body of balsamic vinegar – but without the typical caramel color. Appreciated „guest star“ in restaurants and delicatessens, it is a pure condiment with a delicate flavor that can accompany all kinds of dishes. For international haute cuisine, Varvello has bottled the White Condiment “Linea Alta Gamma”. A tailor-made recipe to give a perfect sweet and sour flavor. Also available with natural flavors added.
Varvello has managed not only to enhance the precious flavor of white wines, but also to engage it with surprising aromas in its White Wine Vinegars Flavored with Lemon, Fine Herbs and Estragon (tarragon).
The proposal by Varvello does not come to an end here, on the contrary it finds its full expression in the Organic White Wine Vinegar and Organic White Condiment of the certified organic products line.